Saturday, July 26, 2014

Hardrock 100 in photos.

I feel a bit out of place contributing to a blog about ultra trail running when I myself am no ultra trail runner. This fact was especially apparent at this annual pilgrimage of elite and hard core trail eaters. The one tenuous thread that allows me to keep comapny with such incredible, determined, motivated and competitive people (and when I say "keep company" I mean watching them walk by the window as I sit in an obscure coffeeshop, gulping down Wifi. Just to be clear) is my complete adoration of God's green earth. So, that my friends, will be my main contribution here. I have no words of wisdom, just a few snapshots that hardly do justice to this quiet corner of the world. Or to runners that tore it up for a weekend.


South Mineral Campground. Highly recommended. This was our view every morning.  


Ophir Pass. I had to throw this shot in there as I am proud of myself for braving this stretch of road. Look close and you can see a jeep coming up the "road"


Ophir Pass Road as it descends in to, predictably, Ophir. The course descends in to this valley after Grant Swamp (see below) and then ascends those orange ridges as it goes over Oscar's Pass.

 Zoomed in to Grant Swamp. See the markings where hikers and runners have nearly rolled down the steep incline over the ridge. Look close, those black dots against the snow are runners.
 Zoomed out a little.

 Zoomed out fully to my spot at the Chapman Aid Station. Or close enough.


The switchbacks up Oscar's Pass from the town of Ophir.

Not part of the Course, but beautiful and worth a visit nonetheless. Bridal Veil Falls in Telluride. 


My first sight of Cody and Jon after my harrowing experience with the truck, hitchhiking and favor usage. Camp Bird Road.


The shale trail ascending up Bear Creek Trail as it heads up to Engineer's Pass. Sounds and feels like walking on broken plates


Cody on the trail.

More of the trail. It was incredible. And it took me some effort to get here, so I was set on documenting every. step. I. took. 


Jon running, Cody hiking. 





I took this shot with my Mother in Law in mind. I knew she would love it.


View of Ouray from the Bear Creek Trail.


Cody as we hike down the trail.


The Red Mountains are stunning.


Silverton! 


Cunningham Aid Station. And whatever is left of the storm the runners and pacers were tormented by.


Stuart and Jon coming in to Cunningham.


Leaving Cunningham.



This was my last view of the Red Mountains after I broke camp and headed down to break my husband out of the hospital.  I keep using "Adventure" to describe our experience here in the San Juans. No matter the surprises and pain  that occurred here, it was still a fantastic trip and one I hope to repeat. With a few minor alterations, of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment