Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A Preview in a Review...and lots of side notes. Sorry, I cannot control them.

In this small lull in our Race Schedule (captialization was intentional for around our house the "Race Schedule" is what we set our whole year by. Weekends rise and fall by the "Race Schedule." In fact, I am thinking the "Race Schedule" needs to adopt the quotations now as well, for it is THAT important) I decided to do a little reminiscing. A little walk down memory lane, if you will. So, in honor of the next race on the "Race Schedule" here is a little reviewing preview of the formerly Pocatello 50- now the Scout Mountain Ultra Trail (SMUT for short). There ya go, I linked that site for you. Go there for all the details. Or wait for Cody's review here in a couple of days.

This race has been a hit and miss for Cody (as he will later flesh out in detail) and has been a complete miss for me. This whole, me following my crazy husband around for days in the mountains, has only fully evolved in the past 10 months. My first real attempt at documenting the ultra running experience was last July. Pokie was in June. Oh sad. Prior to me fully plugging in to my husband's hobby, I was pursuing my photography in almost every other possible avenue BUT sportslandscapeography (just made that up. Can you tell?) (I also like parentheses. Bet ya didn't notice that either.) My whole approach to "Crewing" was to show up where he points on the map precisely at the time he tells me and then leave as soon as he runs through. If I snapped a shot here and there, it was usually of flowers or bunnies or something in the complete opposite direction of the race. Case in point. My best efforts from Pocatello 50 2013:



See? Flowers. Not runners.


This is the extent of my course shots. 
 A family hike to "scout" out the trail that Cody had already run several times before. (We were trying to stave off the wild animals those littles become when they reach the deadly level of "boredom". )





 Here is my shot of Cody running in to City Creek. Quite possibly the least scenic location possible, but hey, I did my crew chief duty, nay, my wifely duty to document this moment in his racing history. But that was it.
Don't even ask me for a close up. My camera was for flowers. Or bunnies. 


This was a shot I took of the start/finish. Mostly because I had a fish eye lens on me and wanted to use it. Hence, to wrap things up (since you come here to scroll through pictures and read a runners diary, not a photographer's) I did not do a great job setting up a blog post to preview this race. Ha. I could have told you at the beginning of this post and saved you a lot of reading, right?! Nope. I like the long and painful way.
And now, you can see where I started and give me a little credit for some progress made in fully appreciating this amazing and inspiring past time of ultra trail running.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, your pictures are amazing!! I want to buy them to hang on my wall! Maybe not the ones of Cody, because that might be weird;) This is a really cool idea!

    ReplyDelete