Monday, June 30, 2014

Logan Peak Trail Race - The Local Favorite

Usually the three weeks between SMUT and Logan Peak Race would be spent with the feet up and the legs resting.  Not this year....
I managed to run 105 miles this year.  Here are some highlights -


Mike and I ran up to High Creek Lake (shown below) and Cherry Peak (shown above)
(all photos courtesy of Cody, not Beth.  She was stuck with the kids...sorry Beth)



Nice View from the Top!

We (Mike, Joe and I) also took a trip to the top of the Wellsvilles


I guess there was some running around but since the pictures don't lie we mostly just stood around posing.

I did manage to spend a few days at scout camp with our troop and freeze to death with them.  It was raining and even snowing most of the time I was there.  10 minutes in the freezing cold lake for a swim check gave me a nasty cold.  By the end of those adventures I was hardly ready for a race.  I figured a few days off could cure me of the 24 hour flu thing I even got.  I was hopeful for the best but all race week I was really weak and lightheaded.  Far from healthy, I toed the line anyways hoping for the best.  

Will I ever learn?  Moderation is not my strength!  

Logan Peak Race is my Favorite Local Race!  OK that and The Bear...

Alright, to be fair.  At the present, those are the only local trail races in Cache Valley.  But they are still my favorite.  Plus after having won last year's edition I couldn't miss the opportunity to try and repeat.

Required picture of the course profile 


Exactly 1 mile into the race I realized I was in for a world of hurt (and disappointment).  I knew I was not healthy enough to run the race I wanted.  I found myself in 10th place and falling back quickly.  I was pushing the redline (heart rate was in the 170's) and I was going way too slow to keep up.  I had no choice but to slow down and just survive this thing the best I could.

I won't lie.  I ran as hard as I possibly could.  The whole time.  Really.  I never gave up.  I knew I wasn't going to win but I tried to finish with the best possible time I could.  I was grunting, wheezing, pushing, praying, stumbling along the best I could.  I even managed to catch up to my local nemesis' Joe and Mike and leave them behind.  They didn't have a great day either sadly.

I am proud of my hard earned 9th place!  I am proud of my 31 min slower than last year time!  Even if I got beat by a girl.  Yep, still ok with it.

I promise to take the next 5 days off to rest and get healthy before heading back into the Mountains... (my mistress..shh don't tell Beth).

Link to my Strava results
Logan Peak Race 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment