Sunday, April 17, 2016

Post Script from the Crew on the Zion 100

A few photos from the Crew's side of the day.


Our morning began not-as-early-as-Cody's-but-still-early-enough in the morning. I love driving into the sunrise over the mesa country. 

I am glad we got n earlier than planned start because the first aid station Dalton Wash, was not where it was anticipated to be. We drove nearly to Guacamole aid station (closed to crew) before stopping a few fellow crew caravans and finding our way to the actual location. Upside, we got to see this awesome little side canyon in all it's springtime glory.

 As Cody was scanning through photos to post with his race report, he started to complain at the vast amount of flower photos I took as compared to the photos I got of him running. I tried to prove him wrong but had to give up quickly since he is right. In my defense, I have visited this area many many times and never have I seen it so alive with color and vibrance. This race is perfectly timed with the seasons.
 These critters were everywhere. My youngest decided she had a mission to destroy them all. She carried a big stick for an hour or so just to whomp them with.

See, flowers.

This was a new road for me. It is the road headed from Grafton up onto the mesa to Grafton Mesa Aid. I was super happy I had my truck and a second crew car at my back. It was a blast but with the wet, sticky mud, I had a mild adrenaline rush. Very rocky. But man, look at that view!


I SO hoped that Cody would come in to Virgin Aid before dark, but alas, it wasnt to be. I sat right here, waiting to see his red shirt and distinguishable gait. But at least I had a decent view.
I also managed to lose the truck keys at this aid. Cody has stated that he missed most of the rain all day. I wish I could say the same. Mid frantic search for the lost keys, the heavens opened and we
got drenched. Roads turned to rivers, washes turned to lakes and my hope of finding those keys just laying on the road vanished. Thankfully, I finally found them swimming in the cooler. And the aid station rejoiced.

Due to the solid drenching we received, the evening became quite cool for us. Most people at the aid sat in quiet reflection as we wished for more fire and swifter racers. Some even wrapped in hotel towels. But I wouldnt trade it in. This is all part of the experience and man, did we experience!
The rest is history. Cody ran hard and saved us an even longer night in even more rain. He is an animal and I am so lucky to join him on these adventures. Heaven knows, I would be indoors with a book if it werent for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment